Think about injecting your sterling silver with blue, crimson, or chartreuse. I'm not speaking about beads or gem stones (though I looove these too).
Right here's a pop quiz: What supplies are you able to bond, glue, or drip onto steel so as to add colour?
I can assume of some intriguing however widespread supplies that you may experiment with. Are you able to guess what they’re?
The primary is …
In the event you can combine glue with a stick, you should use this low-tech materials in your work. This comparatively cheap medium can produce most outcomes.
Epoxy is a 2 half combination: a resin, and a hardener. As soon as they're combined, it's solely a matter of time it turns into a tough, sturdy, tremendous shiny clear plastic substance that may be drilled, glued and sanded. It's the equal of 50 coats of varnish and dries to a mirror end.
The place does the colour are available? Right here's the actually improbable half – colour it with acrylic paint, gouache, jello powder, make-up powder, spices out of your kitchen, or anything you’ll be able to consider.
Strive layering it, drip it into etched or stamped depressions on sterling or copper sheet, and pour it into bezels. You possibly can even strive dipping issues into it. Simply remember the fact that epoxy is a glue, so in some way droop any dipped work whereas ready for it to remedy. You don’t want to bond it to something!
You should purchase two-part epoxy from the ironmongery shop in little 2-sided syringes, and from craft and passion suppliers in bigger 2 bottle kits. You would possibly discover the bigger amount kits in some shops too.
Issues to learn about epoxy:
– It cures up quick. Ironmongery store epoxy often comes within the 5 and 11 minute variants, and different epoxies are fast too. Be sure to consider working time, and solely combine up as a lot as you should use within the 5 or 10 minutes.
– Don’t combine it with, or on, something you ever wish to use once more. I like to combine up mine on a scrap piece of paper with a popsicle stick.
– Don’t inhale it or contact it along with your naked pores and skin earlier than it cures. It's nasty in your well being. At all times take correct precautions when working with chemical compounds.
The second materials is …
What widespread craft materials is available in each colour of the rainbow, translucent and opaque, liquid and stable, is moldable, and will be hardened in an everyday oven?
Polymer clay after all! Polymer clay is product of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) and goes underneath numerous manufacturers, together with FIMO, Sculpey, and Pleasant Clay. In case you have been questioning, polymer clay often has no precise "clay" in it.
Polymer clay can be utilized for greater than sculting beads and pendants. Strive gluing tiny items onto reduce steel sheet parts to make mosaics. Fill slices of sterling tubing with clay. Experiment with the liquid clays and coloured powders in the marketplace.
Issues to learn about polymer clay:
– Every producer makes its clay in a different way and every model has barely totally different qualities and baking temperatures so all the time learn the directions.
– Polymer clay must be "conditioned" earlier than you’ll be able to work with it. You possibly can situation clay by kneading it along with your arms, or operating it via a devoted meals processor. Some individuals like to sit down on it for awhile (in a baggie after all!) To heat it earlier than kneading.
– Use devoted instruments along with your polymer clay. You don’t want to make use of your polymer clay rolling pin to make cookies with later.
Essential notes: Don’t try to make use of any of those supplies with out understanding what it’s essential to do to guard your well being and your environment. Don’t inhale fumes, contaminate your family utensils, or accidently soften, burn, glue, or set your self or anything on fireplace.
Above all else, all the time have a way of enjoyable and be open to fortunate accidents! If an experiment flops, it's a studying expertise. The most effective classes are taught by our "failures".